....nothing too original

another week come and gone, time passing like the wind, so fast and as much as you would like to, you cant seem to grab a hold of it.

A few of my friends recently turned 26, and i am not far behind. Its an interesting position to be in. Being a quarter of a century old. I remember being 19-20 talking about those girls..those older singles..the 24-25 years old. Now that's me.

The statistics on the ever tragic shidduch crisis is that 10% of girls don't get married. Yet, somehow everyone thinks that it wont be her. G-d forbid they should even entertain the idea. But you know what, it is possible, and its not all that crazy that I or someone I know never gets married. We all know that woman in our own community, shes bright, beautiful, interesting and yet shes 45 and not married. Its too easy to say that she is being picky and that at this point its her own fault.

But you know what, I don't even know how the time passed, how is it that this is my third year living in NY? How is it that high school was 8! EIGHT years ago?! I remember when i turned 18 and a friend told me that I was halfway to 36, now I'm halfway to 50!

I'm not sure what the point of this ramble is, except for that remember to enjoy life, find small things that make you happy, and don't get bogged down with today because you know what, tomorrow will be here faster than you know.

I think that we get so focused on this one goal of being married, of being this person that our communities expect us to be, that we forget that you know what life is awesome. We have life! We can go out and do things that we enjoy. We can take this time to cultivate our own interests and deepen ourselves in a way that would never be possible other wise.

Buy flowers for Shabbat even if its just you. Walk instead of taking the bus and enjoy the rare days of sunshine that we get.

I'm so sick of every conversation I ever have with every tom dick and Harriet is about dating, and what am i looking for, and who should i meet and what I'm doing wrong. Or about how messed up dating is these days and how can we fix the crisis, how its a mans world , how we just cant win...I'm just done discussing it to dearth!

I want to live today! I want to just be and enjoy the blessings Gd has given me

Comments

  1. Amen! Recently I was at a younger cousin's wedding and naturally everyone is saying "iyh by you!" Or "you're next!" Or "what are you looking for? I might know some people for you" and all this used to annoy me. (Well it still does a bit.) But I realized these people really do mean well. Sure, they assume that without a spouse you're miserable, and there are times of loneliness when they're not wrong, but you shouldn't let that effect you. They're good people trying to make you feel better. They may be misguided and wrong, but hey, at least they care. The thought counts for something. So yeah, just smile and nod, change the subject and enjoy yourself. You're only in this moment right now, and once its gone you'll never have it back, so try to enjoy every moment. (Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try and heed that advice myself, G-d knows I should.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-/
    "All in the right time" is I guess the saying we need to all stick to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if you are married the conversation doesn't end. My mother was at a wedding recently and all the table would talk about is who they are meshadech with and who their children are meshadech with. I think for those who have no conversation that is pretty much all there is to talk about. So it's not about you . . . they just need to read a good book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

you know what to do....

Popular posts from this blog

My plane broke!

tonight