quote of the day

"you should never settle for who you are"

true or false?

Comments

  1. It reminds me of the famous saying by the chassidic master, Reb Zushe of hanipoli. He said that when he passes and goes to heaven, he wont be asked why he wasnt moshe rabainu, etc., he'll be asked why werent you zushe?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. takka, but my question is, how do you have a healthy self esteem with who you are but at the same time striving to always be better, never thinking you are good enough...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to know that what u did is good, but always aim for better. The immediate thing that comes to mind , is how whenever a shliach would come to The Rebbe, and tell him of an event he had, and say that he had, say, 100 ppl there, the Rebbe would say very nice, next time 200! Growing is something which if not happening, there is something wrong. A person always has to strive to go higher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just have to be really honest with ourselves and know that as long as we can honestly tell ourselves that we are doing the best we can, the better we do the stronger we get, the better our best gets..make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something like that. But I find that the second I start having to tell myself that 'this is the best i can do', its as an excuse, that i dont want to work harder, There is generally the step 'past' the 'best i can do'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good quote. On the one hand I agree- a person should always be striving to be greater, but on the other hand- a person can't be more than who they are. When you change and become greater, you are still YOU, you're just a better version of you. It is difficult enough to be yourself sometimes- I think it is better to say "Be the best you that you can be." Don't settle for the person you are right now, go to the next level by being YOU, by being unique, by doing whatever it is that Hashem wants you and only you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sterngrad. i like the way you put it. "Don't settle for the person you are right now, go to the next level by being YOU, by being unique, by doing whatever it is that Hashem wants you and only you to do." that is really powerful. It is hard enough to be ourselves. R'Wallerstein always says that if Hashem wanted you to be someone else He would not have put you in this world.

    We need to take the time to get to know ourselves and only then can we know what it is that we are meant to do. We need to take the time to recognize our strengths and weaknesses and ask, "What am i supposed to do with this package?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you're always supposed to think 'B'shvili Nivra Ha'olam' but also 'Anochi Afar v' Efer.' The world was created for me, but I am also dust and ashes. So that's how I think it should go- I am so amazing Hashem made the world for me, but I also need to work on myself because I come from only dust and ashes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you keep your eyes focused ahead on your goal which is spiritual growth and at the same time remember where you are coming from and the growth you achieved, you'll be in a good place. Never satisfied with where you are now, always looking to become better but at the same time looking back at your changes.

    At first I thought you were referring to shidduchim or kiruv...lowering your standards or things like that...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps if it said "you should never settle for who you are NOW" I might agree.

    To me, this is an issue of complacency. I'll never STOP growing, so the idea of "settling" in the way I currently am doesn't resonate with me.

    On the other hand, there is an idea of growing into myself, namely into my potential. As long as there is something more to work towards, there is room for growth within me, then to stop, stagnate or crystallize would be tragic (perhaps, in a sense, "settling").

    ReplyDelete
  11. well said!

    you are an amazing being with crazy potential (to quote R' Wallerstein). You cannot settle for who you are but rather...you need to work on becoming yourself!

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. False.
    We must be willing to sacrafice OURSELVES for the person we can BECOME.

    ReplyDelete
  13. depends on who you consider "yourself" to be. is it who u are now? what you were? what u will be? how far are you supposed to push yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Push yourself as far as you can go.

    If who I am now were enough, what more is there to do? Why learn more, grow more, be more?

    As long as I can do better, be better, I will strive to do and be better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

you know what to do....

Popular posts from this blog

My plane broke!

tonight