Facebook

One of the main "things" against Facebook is that it's not real. People alter their profiles. The " friends" that you have are not physical beings. They are walls. They say you should be out with real people having real verbal conversations. You should be able to hold the pillow your having the pillow fight with.

Ideally- yes. Real people are better than cyber people.

But what about those who don't have real people to hang out with. Whether it's due to scheduling, location or personality, there are plenty of people who don't have the blessing of being surrounded with friends.

So is it still bad? Are no friends better than cyber friends?

We are told to look for truth in this world. We are here to search for emet. We want to live in " reality." ( I put reality in quotes bcz nothing in this world is reality we can't see anything clearly) the only thing that we know 100% without a shadow of a doubt is real and true is the Torah! Everything else is a mix; is grey.

So better a person should sit alone in an apartment without any interaction at all? Or better she text message a friend? Better she sit on FB for a few hours and maybe that will make her smile? She'll chat with an old friend. A friend of a friend?
For a few minutes she'll forget that she's alone.

Is that soo bad?

Comments

  1. I like FB in that it is very easy to keep track of acquaintances. Someone you wouldn't be an out-and-out bestie with, or don't have lunch with, but with FB you could contact her if you needed to.

    Even with my better friends I use FB to stay in touch. I hate phones, and people have odd email addresses, so this way I can just click on her face and send her a message.

    But I make a point to limit my use and the information I post on it. I want to make sure I use it efficiently, not mindlessly.

    It is an amazing concept, FB. It should just be used with some discretion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm good with phones..i also agree that FB is a great tool if used correctly.
      Its just hard to maintain that..when im the worst procrastinator in the world as it is..i dont need another distraction.

      Also with so many rabbanim coming out against it..at a certain point i have to think that they probably no better than me ..i still have internet..but thats not something im willing or think i need to give up at the moment

      Delete
    2. Rabbanim are coming out specifically against FB?

      I was at a Rabbi Yisroel Reisman shiur and he said that a rabbi, when asked a question, cannot answer right off the bat based on his own personal biases; he must approach the issue with a neutral outlook and research the matter accordingly.

      If a rabbi has never interacted with the internet, I don't he can make a decision on the matter. Or ban FB specifically. If anything, the only reason I joined was because a shadchan told me to.

      Delete
    3. Oooohh praytell what was her reasoning?

      Delete
    4. Apparently so that dudes could look me up beforehand, or something. Although it seems every guy I go out with doesn't have an FB account. So now I keep up with more people than I would like. :)

      Delete
    5. That has got to be the silliest thing I ever heard. You want guys to be looking at your picture? I avoid giving out my picture as much as possible. But thats beside the point. I think you should make the FB decision without the input of a shadchan. I have never heard of anyone signing up for that reason.

      Delete
    6. This was years ago. Frankly I didn't know it existed beforehand.

      I don't make a point to give out my photo either; I'm all "He'll see me when he coughs up a coffee!" It was a stupid thing she said. I tell it over more as a funny story than a real reason why I joined. Now it's all about keeping up with obscure people I would rather forget about.

      Delete
    7. "Now it's all about keeping up with obscure people I would rather forget about"
      if thats the way you feel...then why do you have it? it seems to me that if you would rather forget abt them..then just sign off.

      Delete

Post a Comment

you know what to do....

Popular posts from this blog

My plane broke!

tonight