You Aren't Sitting in Traffic..You Are Traffic

I dont normally drive in much traffic. I am blessed that both my jobs are within a five minute drive of my house. Today I sat in traffic. 

I would like to start with a disclaimer that if I had to sit through hours of traffic daily I wouldn't feel this way... But BH I dont...

As I was coming off the highway I was struck by the scene. The sun was setting in a spectacular manner ending a beautiful 62 degree day... I was cruising along music playing.. shades on... And it was just so serene. The day was ending...the city basking in the last few minutes of the protective comforting rays closing the day period transitioning to night. Yes we were all sitting in traffic..but the day is over! Work is done and we are tired and weary and can't wait to collapse on a comfy couch with a steaming cup of tea/coffee/hot cocoa and just relax. Yes we are alone in a sea of cars all trying to get to our final destination ( for now anyways) but soon we will be home.

Now as I'm writing two thoughts come to mind.

1) for some the day is just beginning.  For others the end is not yet near. There are still hours of class to sit through. There still remains mountains of homework to conquer.

For the mother nightime is when the real work starts. Nevermind the job she has all day... Children must be fed, clothes laundered, dishes washed and tears to wipe away. No matter how tired she is... There isn't much of a choice.. She pushes through the exhaustion because she loves those bundles of energy and temper tantrums.

Her moment of peace and serenity come much later or maybe just maybe it is those exact mothers who love the traffic. It may be the only time of day that they have to themselves to think.. To empty Thier heads.. Who knows when her nxt chance will be...at 2 am when she is exhausted and can barely see straight?

2) the second thought is as follows- what about the poor souls who have nothing to look forward to when they get home? They have no one waiting for them. SternGrad just listed her 101 reasons for getting married. One of them was having someone to come home to.
What about those people would rather sit in traffic because then in some sense at least they belong to sort of group?

I dont mind traffic.. I get to catch up with my friends.. The news.. The speeches I want to listen to... Think of blog topics..

What does traffic mean to you? What does the sun setting signal in your life?

Comments

  1. That's a good question. Some people get frustrated by the fact that they can't move faster but I just try to take it easy and think about the fact that I will not get home a moment before Hashem plans for me to step through the door.

    I usually have some bit of traffic (and plenty of traffic lights) before I get home so I try to take it easy and relax before the day continues on...supper preps and all that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

you know what to do....

Popular posts from this blog

My plane broke!

tonight