Humbling Moment

Tis the season

With the holidays coming up, it seems that the subways are experiencing an overload of acts. I rarely see a "show" on the way to school. Today, I saw two.

I don't usually feel particularly sympathetic to these people. Today, it was different. Today I felt bad for the people who came on.

First came this older gentleman with his violin. He played beautifully. It was so sad. When these teenagers come on and they put on a cool dance show, I don't feel bad for them. In my mind, they are just kids trying to make some extra cash which i can understand but its not sad. But when an older man is coming on to the subway playing for a few bucks...that pulls at my heartstrings. I wonder what happened in his life that he has to deign to this behavior. Most men his age are hopefully enjoying retirement. But there he is, standing on the subway, with his threadbare suit playing a violin that itself could not have been cheap, trying to pay for dinner.

It definitely makes you think. We have a vision of what our lives will be. We work hard to ensure that we have a safe,secure future.  No one likes to think that one day that he could be begging for money on the subway. It is a common thread in the motivation of most of the world's millionaires..they were poor when they were young and they vowed they would never be like that again. So they work. They dream. They work hard to protect themselves and their children from a life they never want to experience again.

Yet, millionaires become paupers. It is the wheel of Fortune. The Wheel turns and where there was once wealth and decadence is now poverty and lacking.

There is a story of a Rav ( i forget who i apologize) who was once giving a speech, during which he emphasized the fact that no matter how successful a person is Hashem can take that away from you in a second. No matter how much effort we put in our lives, it is ultimately in the hands of God. After the speech,  a wealthy member of the community came up to the Rav and thanked him for a beautiful shiur. But he had one comment to make " It just is not possible that all my money can disappear in one second. I have accounts in countries all over the world, I have money invested in all sorts of buildings and companies. It just isn't possible!" The Rav responded " who says the money has to disappear? Hashem can take you away from the money. You could have a heart attack and die in a second..and that is it!" All it takes is the blink of the eye.

It is hard not to get discouraged from this kind of talk. Why should I plan if in the end of the day it does not matter? If it can all be gone in a moment why should I bother working so hard?

It is difficult. But we cannot remain complacent. We have to strive. We have to achieve. I just think that it is humbling to see like this man on the subway. He never thought it would come to this.  When he was a little boy, this was not what he wanted to be when he grew up. The day he started his violin lessons, he imagined his audience to be in a concert hall, not a moving subway full of people who could not care less.




Comments

  1. Oy, what a bummer.

    Whenever I see an old man playing the violin/keyboard/concertina yes, I also feel terrible.

    There are people that I know that are not planning for their futures at all. They are in their 60's, and they spend the last money in their accounts on eating out or vacations or on rent on unnecessarily large houses.

    Not all people plan for tomorrow. I'm not saying that this man didn't, but what I take away is that one should prepare for the future while giving thanks to the One above that they have this opportunity while still young to be responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are people who are irresponsible yes, who squander away their life savings..that is obviously not what we are aiming for.

    I like what you took away. I am going to post soon the second performer "story"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humbling indeed..... I'm happy that I read this in conjunction with your most recent post (on December 30, 2011 for those who read this years later lol). It was a good reinforcement of a message that is far too often forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shocked- its interesting how that worked out
    - also wanted to welcome you to the blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oy, I guess it's been a really long while since I've posted a comment on your blog if you forgot that I've posted before... Hopefully I'm back on track with the commenting lol...

    Thanks for the welcome (back, I suppose) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol- or my brain is just being fried from school.
    but thanks for all the comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

you know what to do....

Popular posts from this blog

My plane broke!

tonight