In the Face of Crisis

Following in the same vein as the last post..

Tragedy, Crisis, Death, Disaster.

These are all things that make us stop and think. They give us clarity. They give us perspective. They can also make us feel guilty. Guilty for the emotions that we are feeling at a time when we think its inappropriate.

On the day that the murderer was on the loose, on a day when people were crying for the loss of their children, their father, their husband. On a day, when people feared for their lives..What was i doing?

Was it OK that i was smiling a funny story my friend told me? Is it allowed for me to be upset for no good reason? For me to be crabby and sad about my annoying roommates?

One would say that generally, we should experience our emotions. We should talk it out. No one can judge you for feeling the way you do..but on a day when your "disasters" are laughable in the face of real tragedy...does that make your emotions any less significant?

Are you allowed be to be upset about the failed test when the gadol hador has passed away?

There are times when I just want to be in a bad mood. I need it. Ironically, its cathartic.

I want to moan and groan. I want to listen to sad music and let the tears fall as they may.

Once that process is done.. I generally feel better.

But if I'm feeling guilty for feeling bad? That just makes the whole thing worse. It nullifies the cathartic effect.

How does one reconcile the two? How does one feel the emotions she is having whilst still understanding that really..really.. in the grand scheme of things..its not a big deal. There are way worse tragedies happening at the moment.

What says you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My plane broke!

tonight