Mortality and Morbidity

Tragedy has once again struck the Jewish People, not once but twice within an extremely short period of time.

When these horrifying events occur, we hope that we will make a change. Hope that this time will be the last time that we need to be shaken awake from our slumber. We hope that it will give us perspective. Perhaps, this will give us the direction that we need. It reminds us of our own mortality. Every minute we live is a gift. We do not know when that gift will cease. There are no guarantees.

I have a chilling memory from when I was in seventh grade. A friend of mine turned to me during lunch, distraught," What if I don't wake up tomorrow?!"

I had nothing to say. I could not reassure her that she would. How do I know what tomorrow will bring? Rather, I have no idea what will happen in twenty minutes from now.

We live with a sense of calm and complacency. We live our lives as we should, without ever thinking about our own mortality. It is something that comes with age I believe. The older one gets the more he thinks about  that possibility.  The rest of us just go about our days, taking every minute as it comes.


The people in Toulous are living on the edge. Knowing that the shooter is on the loose makes one uneasy to say the least. 

Its a fine line. Knowing your own mortality and still living your life. There are those who who take a "cheshbon hanefesh" an accounting of the soul, every night. It makes a persons accountable for his actions. It gives you  a balance. It allows one to live in the moment whilst still being fully aware of the fact that today may be the last day. 

Its a heavy thought but an in important one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My plane broke!

tonight