I love Friday. I love the feeling that Shabbat is coming. Shabbos is a day like no other.. and that means that erev Shabbat is by association just as special. About a year and a half a go...maybe longer...I started buying flowers " lekavod shabbat kodesh!" In seminary, Rabbi Geisler told us something that really stuck with me. He said that he does not buy his wife flowers on Friday. He and his wife go and buy flowers for Shabbat together. Rav Shimshon Pincus, in his sefer on Shabbat, also talks about flowers. He says that he went to the store to buy flowers for Shabbat. He went to the roses. Only the best for Shabbat. Only the best for the Queen. But he couldn't decide how many to get. A dozen. two dozen..there is no value for Shabbat. Maybe he should just buy them all? In the end he bought three roses; one for each of the avot, which in turn correspond to the three meals of Shabbat. The greatness of Shabbat is often ignored, trampled on. R'Pincus explains tha...
Your surroundings always affect you. So if you live in a place where vanity is a huge focus and everyone around you cares about that, it might slowly affect the person...
ReplyDeleteMeaning is self-absorption contagious? A vain person wants an entourage; is the entourage vain? Not if they are being an entourage.
ReplyDeleteI would say not.
I think that it's very easy for the people around you to influence you. Just look at how contagious a smile can be.
ReplyDeleteLOL Good question. I think the answer is yes.
ReplyDeleteWhen you are around people who make the way they look and the externals a very important priority in their life, it may not impact you in the most noticable way in the beggining but it does trickle down and will have an affect.