Make it different

As  I was titling my last entry "all over again" it occurred to me how repetitive life really is. We (hopefully) get up every morning. We brush our teeth, wash our face, wash our hands. We pray. Grab our coffee and maybe breakfast. Its the same thing over and over and over again.

Year after year. The same holidays. The same prayers. The same rituals. Its all the same. Nothing really changes. Maybe one day you will mix it up and have beef instead of chicken. Watch out world.. Its all the same.

There are the few individuals you really do change their lives. They turn themselves around. Some of them dwell among us in the blogosphere. But these people are few and far in between.

I had in teacher in Israel who would say that until you make the conscious decision to be more than mediocre...that is exactly what we will be-mediocre. Status Quot.

Change is hard work. To say the least. It doesn't happen naturally. An object at rest stays at rest. So somehow we always end up with the same list in our siddur as last year stating what we will change. We haven't budged from the place where we stood last year..and that's the good scenario.

Personally i feel like i have dropped a few notches and before anyone says that I am being too hard on myself and that I am just human..you know what- i am not nearly as hard enough on myself. I give myself too many allowances. As hard as I am on myself...the Heavenly Court will be and is infinitely more exacting on my actions, my thoughts, and my intentions, the ramifications of my actions.

So here we are in Elul, doing the same thing we did last year. Listening to the same shiurim, taking on the same measures to better ourselves, saying the same chapters of Psalms...its all the freakin same.

So how are we gonna make it different?  I am not sure. But i really hope that I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My plane broke!

tonight